This piece went through so many revisions. I started concepting this back in December 2011 and began the painting process in January. This was partially an experiment in Painter but it ended up in Photoshop. I reached the limit of what Painter could do through my sheer ignorance of the program. The challenge was that my brain is wired for Photoshop and it’s interface.
It was great to have a dialog for so long with this piece and I often struggle with getting a great abstract textural surface and “background” which becomes my brick wall that I can’t get passed. Walking away from the piece from time to time helped solve what was missing, it was a great exercise.
I had may ideas for a focal point, the lack thereof was my issue, and at one stage I put in a retro styled rocket instead of a leaf. This got my creative juices flowing and I was going to go down that route but the organics in this piece vetoed that direction. The leaf brought everything together.
During the final stages of this piece when I was inching toward a retro angle, I was graciously given some retro ephemera from a fellow artist that I will be using in another piece as there is much inspiration happening at the moment!